Tuesday, May 8, 2012

The Training Obstacles of a Full-Time, Working Mom


This is where it starts to get reeeeally  interesting. Training for a 1/2 Ironman, working full time in a demanding and time-consuming job, traveling on business, AND being a mom is starting to take it's toll.

#1:  I. Must. Work. Out. Even if it's not for a freaking 1/2 Ironman, it's crucial to my overall well-being. Working out is not only important for the physical benefits to keep my body healthy and strong, but it's also critical for my emotional well-being. And my family's well-being.

#2: Work is increasingly challenging. I love my job. We all know that. And business is good. Which - don't get me wrong - is a good thing as well. But when it's good, it means that you're busting your ASS to keep it that way! Let's be honest, I'm not just working 40 hours. When I step through those front doors at 7:00AM every morning, it's GO-GO-GO. There's no time to sit around and chit-chat, gossip about who's wearing what, or spend hours on the phone dealing with non-work related issues. I use my time at work to do just that. Because I know that come 4 or 5 o'clock, I have more work to do. - On the pavement, in the pool, or on the saddle -  Come 9,10 o'clock at night, I'm logged back in, checking my email.

#3: Business Travel. I'm heading into Week 2 of 3 weeks of travel. We all know that business travel means your "always on" for at least 15 hours, leaving you no time to get a good workout in. And I don't have time to waste days away, not training!

#4: I'm a Mom. Spending time with my children is priceless. I refuse to let them suffer, in not spending time with me...........but on the flip side, I refuse to let myself feel guilty for giving myself a little more "me" time during this training journey. I'm setting an example for my children, especially my daughter, to lead an active healthy, lifestyle. Even as a full-time, working Mom.

No comments:

Post a Comment